View Current

Travel Policy

This is not a current document. To view the current version, click the link in the document's navigation bar.

Section 1 - Purpose

(1) The purpose of this Policy is to:

  1. prescribe the circumstances under which travel is organised and undertaken by University travellers;
  2. assist Charles Sturt University (the University) in meeting its duty of care obligations to University travellers, and to ensure the welfare of the traveller is paramount; and
  3. achieve value for money travel expenditure that is prudent, necessary, appropriate, justifiable, approved and not excessive.

(2) The Policy applies to all persons travelling on approved University business, where travel arrangements are funded either in part or in full by the University and its controlled entities, regardless of the source of the funds, the duration of the travel, or the purpose of travel.

(3) Travellers are required to exercise prudent business judgement regarding expenses covered by this Policy, minimising as far as reasonable the financial cost to the University. 

(4) As part of the commitment by the University to being sustainable and reducing its carbon footprint, staff should first consider alternative options to avoid the need for travel, including audio, central and desktop video conference facilities available at the University. Additionally, staff are expected to car pool wherever practical to reduce the impact the CSU Fleet has on the environment, and to minimise the cost of travel.

(5) Travellers are expected to organise their plans in a reasonable timeframe to ensure best value for money, and allow time for processing. A guideline timeframe is at least two weeks in advance of the proposed travel for domestic Australia and four weeks for international destinations.

Top of Page

Section 2 - Glossary

(6) In this Policy:

  1. Authorising Officer - means the officer with the authority under the Delegations and Authorisations Policy to provide approval for the proposed travel arrangements;
  2. Clients - means a person or organisation with whom the traveller is conducting business;
  3. CSU Travel – means the Travel Office at Charles Sturt University;
  4. Delegations and Authorisations Policy - means the delegations of authority given to University staff and bodies for the approval of expenditure and travel in accordance with the relevant sections of:
    1. section 20 of the Charles Sturt University Act 1989 No 76
    2. section 12 of the Public Finance and Audit Act 1983 No 152
    3. the Delegations and Authorisations Policy, in particular the Delegation Schedule 02 - Finance Delegations;
  5. Domestic Travel - means travel within Australia;
  6. GST – means goods and services tax payable in Australia;
  7. High Risk Country - means any country about which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a travel advisory warns travellers to "reconsider your need to travel";
  8. International Travel – means countries other than Australia;
  9. Lowest Logical Best Fare - means the lowest available fare on the day of booking that offers the traveller the convenience and flexibility they require to complete the business purpose effectively;
  10. Online Booking Tool - means web-based software that enables domestic travel bookings;
  11. Out Of Pocket Expenses - means any expense that has been made by a direct outlay of cash that may or may not be reimbursed;
  12. Partially Funded Travel - is where the University does not fully meet the travel expenses. In these cases the total amount of University funds approved for travel expenses should be stipulated as part of the travel approval. Examples of when this may apply are:
    1. attendance at conferences;
    2. absence on research field work;
    3. absence on special training courses; 
  13. Restricted Area – means any area with a restriction to travel, for example – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade “Do not travel”.
  14. Special Studies Program – means the University’s Special Studies Program;
  15. University Business - means work undertaken on behalf of the University for purposes directly associated with the functions of the University, including but not limited to:
    1. official duties;
    2. conference, research, field work, consultancy, administration and academic duties;
    3. Special Studies Program; and
    4. interviewing of candidates and new appointments.
  16. University Corporate Travel Card - means the University sponsored credit card.
  17. University traveller/person - means anyone who travels on behalf of the University on pre-approved University business including, but not limited to:
    1. employees of the University and its controlled entities, including casual staff;
    2. persons who are accompanying employees;
    3. members of the University Council and its sub-committees;
    4. consultants and contractors;
    5. students;
    6. any other persons and/or visitors whose travel is associated with University business, and it is appropriate for the travel costs to be paid by the University.
Top of Page

Section 3 - Policy

(7) All travel expenditure transactions must meet the following four principles: 

  1. be necessary to perform a valid University business purpose. If required, employees must be able to identify and justify the relationship or connection between the expenditure, and the official business of the University;
  2. be reasonable and represent “value for money” in that the expenditure amount is not extravagant or excessive;
  3. be appropriate in that the expenditure is suitable and fit for its intended purpose in the context of the valid business purpose;
  4. be allowable according to the terms of any regulation, law, contract, or University policy and procedure.  There must be evidence that the University procedures have been followed to demonstrate a prudent and defensible decision to incur the expense has been made. 

(8) Consistent with the above guiding principles:

  1. University funds cannot be used for private travel purposes, under any circumstances;
  2. an employee is entitled to the reimbursement of approved reasonable travel-related expenses which they incur on behalf of the University;
  3. research grant and contract amounts received by the University are University funds and must be used for specified purposes (and according to the conditions) set out in the grants and contracts;
  4. an employee cannot enter into a commitment for travel related activities unless designated funds are available and the appropriate approval has been obtained as set out in University delegations;
  5. an employee cannot approve their own travel expenditures;
  6. all expenditures must be properly documented;
  7. Heads of Budget Centres are responsible for monitoring travel expenditures in their Budget Centre, and are encouraged to be frugal and to minimise their expenditures where possible.  
Top of Page

Section 4 - Procedures

Part A - Approval to Travel

(9) The University traveller must gain approval by an authorised officer as per the Delegations and Authorisations Policy Delegation Schedule 06 - Travel Delegations prior to travelling domestically or internationally, regardless of the source of funding and where travel involves:

  1. a roundtrip of 50 kilometres or more from the traveller’s usual workplace; or
  2. an overnight stay.

(10) In seeking or granting approval, the traveller or authorising officer must ensure that:

  1. the travel is not to a restricted area;
  2. the traveller’s absence is convenient to the department/unit;
  3. adequate planning is made to minimise costs including the lowest logical airfare;
  4. policy and guidelines for travel have been followed;
  5. the travel is booked through CSU Travel, except in the relocation of new staff and their families, University Council and a limited number of staff who have been granted access to the online booking tool;
  6. work, health and safety provisions are complied with and coverage under the University’s insurance has been established for international travel;
  7. where applicable, an appropriate and thorough assessment of the risks of travel is undertaken and the University is made aware of the traveller’s location at any time during the duration of travel and of any changes to booked travel arrangements; and
  8. a proposed itinerary of activities to be undertaken has been provided.

(11) Travel not meeting the requirements of this Policy may be considered to be personal travel at the traveller's own expense.

Part B - Entertainment/Hospitality

(12) University travellers who have approval to incur entertainment and hospitality expenses are expected to be economically prudent when providing hospitality and entertainment for guests and visitors. Hospitality and/or entertainment must have a clear and valid University business purpose.

(13) Entertainment and hospitality costs may be subject to fringe benefits tax.

Part C - Corporate Travel Card

(14) University travellers are required to hold a University Corporate Travel Card. The liability for this card is held by the University, not the cardholder.  More details, including eligibility, are included in the Corporate Credit Card Policy.

(15) A tax invoice/receipt must be obtained for all domestic purchases where the amount exceeds $82.50 (including GST). This will allow the University to reclaim any GST applicable to the purchase.

(16) It is the responsibility of the cardholder to retain receipts for auditing purposes. Receipts must be retained as per Australian Taxation Office requirements. 

(17) It is the cardholder’s responsibility to ensure all necessary receipts/tax invoices are sent to CSU Travel. The reconciliation of travel expenses will be processed by CSU Travel (except for the Executive Assistant of executive level staff who has this responsibility).

(18) Failure to provide receipts/tax invoices may result in the relevant expenses becoming a personal cost. Further action may result in the suspension of the traveller’s Corporate Travel Card or eventual cancellation.

Part D - Air Travel

Domestic Air Travel

(19) All domestic air travel must be arranged through CSU Travel or the University’s online booking tool. Bookings made directly with airlines and/or their associated websites are not permitted unless prior approval has been given by CSU Travel. 

(20) The University has negotiated rates with a number of airlines that are only available through the online booking tool or CSU Travel. 

(21) Any reservations made outside of this Policy may be invoiced back to the traveller as a personal expense, if charged to the University's Corporate Travel Card, or may not be reimbursed if purchased on a personal credit card.

International Air Travel

(22) All University funded (either in part or in full) international travel must be arranged through CSU Travel. In exceptional circumstances, such as where funding is very limited or when funding is being provided by a third party, CSU Travel may allow a traveller to make their own arrangements. Prior approval must be sought from the Manager, CSU Travel.

(23) The University has negotiated rates with a number of international airlines that are only available through CSU Travel.

(24) Any reservations made outside of this Policy may be invoiced back to the traveller as a personal expense, if charged to the University's Corporate Travel Card, or may not be reimbursed if purchased on a personal credit card.

Lowest Logical Fare of the Day

(25) The lowest logical airfare must be chosen at all times. This decision will not be influenced by the traveller's membership of a frequent flyer program. Should the traveller choose a more expensive option (e.g. due to an alliance to an airline for which they receive a personal benefit), they must pay the difference between this fare and the "lowest logical fare of the day".

Changes to Air Travel

(26) If the traveller makes a change to flights due to a business reason, and where a ticket has already been issued, there will be fees associated with these changes. Any costs will be charged against the relevant approved travel plan. This may also include an administration fee charged by CSU Travel.

(27) If the change to the travel arrangements is for a personal reason, CSU Travel will still assist with making any relevant changes. However, any costs involved with making changes will be charged to a personal credit card of the traveller.

(28) CSU Travel reserves the right to request information from the traveller as to the reason why they wish to make a change to determine if it is related to a business or personal reason.

Airline Minimum Connection Times

(29) Airlines set minimum connection times between flights. The connection time varies by airport, airline and whether a domestic or international connection is involved. CSU Travel will only book flights which adhere to the set minimum connection times.

(30) If a traveller insists on booking flights which contravene the minimum connection times, any costs incurred as a result of this (i.e. missed flights, additional accommodation etc) will be a personal cost.

(31) Should the airlines not be able to provide the required connection due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances then the traveller, in the first instance, must make contact with the airline to seek an alternative flight at the airlines cost. After exhausting all other avenues of assistance the traveller must make contact with CSU Travel after hours service to determine the next course of action.

Part E - Excess Baggage

(32) The University will only pay for excess baggage relating to equipment, items or marketing materials that are required to be carried as part of official business.

Part F - Airline Lounge, Loyalty Programs and Frequent Flyer Memberships

Airline Lounge Membership

(33) The University has negotiated airline lounge membership rates with Qantas, Virgin and Regional Express airlines.

(34) To be eligible to use University funding as payment for lounge membership, the following applies:

  1. staff are at the level of:
    1. Chancellor;
    2. Vice-Chancellor;
    3. Deputy Vice-Chancellor; 
    4. Senior Executive Level 1; or 
  2. the University employee is expected to complete a minimum of ten domestic trips (return) annually, or a minimum of three return international trips annually.

Loyalty Club Memberships and Frequent Flyer Memberships

(35) The University will not fund loyalty club or frequent flyer memberships, this includes hotel and accommodation clubs.

(36) Loyalty points such as frequent flyer points or rewards accruing to University travellers from domestic and international air travel and accommodation, undertaken for business or study purposes, will reside with the individual traveller. 

(37) CSU Travel will not assist in the redemption of frequent flyer points or other memberships.

Part G - Class of Travel

(38) This table shows the travel class approved for use by University travellers:

Staff International Travel Trans-Tasman Travel Domestic Travel
Chancellor Business Class Business Class Business Class
Vice-Chancellor Business Class Economy Class/Business Class Economy Class/Business Class
Deputy Vice-Chancellors Business Class Economy Class Economy Class
Executive appointments at Senior Executive Level 1 and other staff as per employment contract Business Class Economy Class Economy Class
All other University travellers Economy Class Economy Class Economy Class

(39) All University travel will be booked in the classes indicated above except in the following circumstances:

  1. University Council members may be entitled to travel business class on international flights where they are accompanying another member of staff who is entitled to travel business class;
  2. a staff member’s employment contract authorises a different class of travel;
  3. travel is fully funded by an external organisation which is authorising a different class of travel. Verification is required prior to seeking authorisation to travel from the University; or
  4. the University traveller is accompanying another University traveller who is permitted to travel in a higher class. Authorisation must be granted by the relevant delegated approver.

(40) In exceptional circumstances, and on the recommendation of the delegated approver, the University traveller may travel in a higher class. This approval must be gained prior to submitting a travel request. Approval is discretionary and subject to relevant budgetary considerations.

Part H - Stopovers

(41) When travelling on official business any voluntary stopovers (i.e. stopovers chosen by the traveller to break the journey) will not be financially supported by the University. Any costs incurred during a voluntary stopover will be a personal expense. 

(42) If a stopover is required for medical reasons a medical certificate must be provided.  The medical certificate should be submitted to CSU Travel when submitting the travel request.

Part I - Recovery Time

(43) University travellers are entitled to recovery time on arrival at their international destination (excluding New Zealand) for the purposes of rest and recuperation of up to one full day. This recuperation time cannot be transferred to another day and must be taken upon arrival at the destination point. University travellers are still considered to be on duty at this time, and as such, are not required to apply for annual leave for the recovery time taken.

Part J - Charter/Private Aircraft Use

(44) If chartering an aircraft is the only logical method of travel to and from regional and/or remote locations, travellers must in the first instance contact CSU Travel.

(45) When using a charter aircraft organisation, travellers must ensure the organisation holds a current airworthy certificate and sufficient public liability insurance. A copy of the certificate and insurance confirmation should be sent to the Manager, CSU Travel.

Part K - Accommodation

(46) All accommodation must be booked through CSU Travel, and/or the online booking tool as part of the travel request.

(47) The selection of a hotel must be based on the lowest logical rate at any accommodation provider in the location relevant to the travellers travel plan and should not be influenced by any loyalty memberships or personal preferences.

(48) The accommodation at a conference venue may be booked if no alternatives are nearby, or the University traveller is making a presentation. This accommodation cost may exceed the recommended guidelines but is required to be approved in the normal manner prior to travel.

(49) The use of accommodation sharing websites, such as Airbnb may be requested through CSU Travel.

(50) Remote accommodation for field work activities (including camping or caravan park facilities) may be reserved outside of CSU Travel, but this information must be provided at the time of requesting the creation of a travel plan.

(51) Acceptable guideline amounts for business travel accommodation will be determined by CSU Travel and reviewed annually.

(52) University travellers are not required to share a room with other travellers, unless both travellers have agreed to this arrangement.

(53) If the University traveller is travelling with family members, the University will fund only the cost equivalent to a sole use room.

(54) The University recognises and accepts that there are times when staying with family or friends is a preferred option for travellers on University business. This accommodation cost must be at "no cost to the University".

(55) The University will not pay for accommodation costs for employees who stay overnight at a hotel at their home campus location.

Part L - Ground Transportation

University Fleet Vehicles

(56) The University currently operates a pool of motor vehicles for use by University travellers at a number of campus locations. 

(57) University travellers must use a University vehicle when they have access to the car pool and are on official University business. Other options will be considered only when a suitable University vehicle is not available.

(58) All drivers must have a current valid driver’s licence. University travellers who have permanent resident status should apply for an Australian driver’s licence after three months of arrival in Australia.  University travellers who are in Australia on a temporary visa must have a valid licence from the country where they are a registered citizen.

(59) If requested by CSU Fleet the travellers driver’s licence number, license expiry and mobile phone number must be advised.

Private Vehicles

(60) Where a University vehicle is not available (or the available vehicles are not suitable), University travellers may apply for approval to use their private vehicle for official travel. The private vehicle specified must be registered and covered by comprehensive or third party motor vehicle insurance during the period for which this approval is made. 

(61) The University will not be responsible for any costs or losses associated with any damages regardless of how they are sustained to the vehicle.

(62) Approval to use a motorcycle or bicycle will not be granted for workplace health and safety reasons.

Novated Lease Vehicles

(63) The University has engaged a partner to manage vehicles under the fully maintained novated lease program. These vehicles are considered by the University to be private vehicles and all the conditions in this Policy relating to the use of private vehicles apply.

(64) Novated leases are considered by the Australian Taxation Office as an employer payment. Any private kilometre reimbursement for novated lease vehicles will form part of taxable salary.

Car Hire Vehicles

(65) The University has negotiated rates with various car hire companies.

(66) Payment for hire cars should be made using the University corporate travel card, including any fuel costs associated with the car rental.

Car Hire Vehicle Insurance

(67) When travelling in Australia, the University traveller must accept the standard excess reduction insurance to reduce the vehicle excess.

(68) When travelling internationally the University’s travel insurance policy will cover the international car hire vehicle excess (collision damage and theft waiver). The traveller must decline offers to reduce the excess.

(69) Misuse of the vehicle, or use outside the terms and conditions of the car hire agreement, may result in personal liability to the University traveller.

Driving/Parking Infringements

(70) The University will not fund any driving/parking infringements (or related appeals) incurred by the University traveller. This includes travel in a University vehicle, car hire vehicle or private vehicle.

Driver Safety Policy

(71) University travellers on official business travel that includes driving to/from their destination should comply with the Driver Safety Policy

Workers Compensation and Travel

(72) Workers compensation insurance provisions may also apply to domestic travel. For further clarification please refer to the Financial Accountant (Insurance). 


(73) Prudent business judgement must be used when using taxis and ride sharing services. The University encourages travellers to share the cost of this type of transport with other travellers, where appropriate. Ride sharing such as Uber is acceptable but a tax invoice must be obtained.


(74) University travellers may travel first class on domestic long distance rail journeys. 

(75) University travellers should generally travel economy class on international rail journeys, unless there are safety and security concerns, in which case the traveller may be granted approval to travel first class. 

Public Transport Smartcards

(76) A Smartcard for business travel should be purchased by the University traveller for sole use on official University business. Top ups using the Corporate Travel Card are acceptable, with approval.

Part M - Meal Allowances

(77) Meal allowances will be paid as a maximum allowance based on the purpose of the proposed travel and/or available funding.

(78) Meal allowances are predetermined maximum amounts to cover estimated expenses.

(79) Where travel includes an overnight stay, the domestic and international meal allowance rates reflect the maximum allowance payable for official travel.

(80) Claiming reimbursement for actual meal expenses is not permitted.

(81) For same day travel, University travellers are eligible to claim a single day meal allowance for travel that exceeds 10 hours. Any meals provided as part of the day’s business must be deducted.

(82) The University will not fund gratuities or tips. This expenditure is a personal cost of the University traveller.

(83) Any meals included in the traveller’s airfare, accommodation rate or conference registration should not be claimed as part of the meal allowance.  If the traveller receives a meal paid by another party while travelling, any meal allowance received by the traveller for that occasion must be repaid to the University.

(84) International meal allowances are calculated from the start of the traveller's official business related activities at their destination through to the first available flight on the conclusion of the official business related activities (i.e. time of arrival to time of departure).

(85) Whilst in transit at an airport University travellers meals are included in their normal meal allowance, and therefore, these costs should be personal.

(86) For University travellers on official business where travel exceeds 35 days, the meal allowance rate that can be claimed for each additional day is 50% of the maximum daily allowance rate.

(87) Domestic and international allowance rates are reviewed annually by CSU Travel.

(88) If the traveller has been allocated an allowance amount on a travel plan, whether prepaid or not prepaid, the Corporate Travel Card cannot be used for meals.

Part N - Incidental/Out of Pocket Expenses

(89) Incidental work related expenses incurred during travel, but not normally incurred in the normal course of the working day, will be reimbursed when they are directly related to official travel. Examples of applicable incidentals are: laundry, work related telephone calls, work related internet access and parking (if related to business requirements).

(90) Wherever possible, incidentals should be charged to the Corporate Travel Card or included as part of the overall hotel account. An allowance for incidentals may be included when completing the travel plan.

(91) The University traveller can claim reimbursement for eligible work related out of pocket expenses, provided legible receipts/tax invoices are provided. If receipts are unavailable, the traveller needs to provide a daily log outlining the travel and expenses incurred and complete the Lost Receipt Declaration.

(92) Any requests for travel related reimbursements or out of pocket expenses must be submitted within three months of the expense being incurred. Requests for reimbursements submitted outside of this timeframe will not be accepted. 

Part O - After Hours Emergency Service

(93) CSU Travel offers an after hours emergency service for travellers who genuinely need assistance with their travel plans. This should be only used after exhausting all other avenues of assistance, i.e. insurance provider, airline ticket counter and accommodation or service provider directly. The use of this service will incur an additional charge.

Part P - Dependent Care Support

(94) Staff who undertake work related travel are entitled to claim dependent care expenses up to forty dollars ($40.00) per day (not per child) for care that is over and above their normal dependent care cost arrangements. This applies for dependants up to the age of 16 years. Proof of age of the dependent may be requested.

Part Q - Corporate Travel Debit Cards

(95) In certain limited circumstances, a Corporate Travel Debit Card may be issued with a preloaded value. This would allow the traveller to access the funds via an automated teller machine or use the card at merchants for travel related purchases. 

(96) Any funds spent from the card must be substantiated with a receipt. Receipts should be submitted to CSU Travel within 14 days of the conclusion of travel.

(97) Where receipts are not provided or made available for international travel, the traveller must ensure the expense is substantiated by making a travel diary notation or a travel declaration.

(98) Any unused funds must be returned to the appropriate budget codes by contacting CSU Travel and requesting the balance be processed back to those ledger codes.

Part R - Travel Advance

(99) In exceptional circumstances, the University may provide University travellers a cash advance prior to travel. A travel advance may be used for expenses including: accommodation, land travel, field trip costs. 

(100) Travel advances will only be provided in the following circumstances:

  1. if the University traveller's expenses exceed the minimum advance amount of $500.00;
  2. where the University traveller has obtained pre-approval to travel and does not have a University Corporate Travel  Card; or
  3. where the University traveller provides adequate justification that:
    1. the University Corporate Travel Card cannot be used for some travel expenses; or
    2. the total of those expenses is such that using the reimbursement and acquittal of travel expenses process would cause financial hardship.

(101) All travel advances paid through CSU Travel must be acquitted against the exact amount of expenses actually incurred. This must be acquitted within 14 days of the conclusion of travel.

(102) The University traveller must provide original supporting tax invoices/receipts for all expenditure incurred during the travel indicating the relevance of the expenditure to the travel. 

(103) Any unused funds must be returned to the appropriate budget codes by contacting CSU Travel. 

Part S - Combining Business and Private Travel

University Business Travel Days

(104) University business days are those where the traveller undertakes formal business activities. Business travel days include:

  1. transit days when travelling to a business destination or returning home;
  2. a recovery day for international travel (excluding New Zealand);
  3. weekends and public holidays surrounded by business days with formal business activities; and
  4. unavoidable delays between business activities where these days are deemed reasonable.

Private Travel Days

(105) Private travel days include:

  1. weekends or public holidays not surrounded by business days with formal work activities; and
  2. personal days including annual leave and long service leave.

Part T - Fringe Benefits Tax 

(106) Some elements of employee travel have a personal component that is either incidental or not incidental to the business travel. Where travel is considered not incidental, the University will incur a fringe benefits tax liability. Briefly described, fringe benefits tax is a tax on the provision of non-cash benefits allowed to employees - see Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986.

(107) As a guide, a fringe benefits tax liability may apply if the private travel component represents more than 50% of the total travel time, or if the business component of the travel is only part funded, or if all of the travel is undertaken while the traveller is on leave.

(108) In the event that a fringe benefits tax liability is incurred, the employee will be required to reimburse the University. A decision flowchart which assesses incidental versus non-incidental personal travel components is available on the Travel Web Page.

(109) Funds administered by the University cannot be used by the traveller to pay any applicable fringe benefits tax liability.

(110) In all cases the final interpretation of travel intentions will be determined by CSU Travel.

Part U - Traveller Health and Safety

(111) The University's primary responsibility is to protect the safety and well-being of all persons when travelling on University business. It is the University traveller's responsibility while travelling to be mindful of potential risks in the local area and to act in a manner that will minimise the possibility of harm to the traveller.

(112) The University has a duty of care to ensure that it is aware of the whereabouts of all travellers so that it can contact and provide assistance to such travellers in the event of an emergency or other incident. International travellers are required to provide to CSU Travel all contact information while overseas and must take all reasonable steps to remain contactable while travelling.

(113) The University reserves the right to deny travel where it considers the risk is too great.

(114) University travellers should not visit a country that the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has advised not to visit.

(115) For travel to a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Category 3 or 4 destination the University traveller must obtain a security briefing from the University’s global assistance provider. It is the traveller’s responsibility to ensure they have had the required vaccinations prior to travel. 

Part V - Travel Insurance

(116) Staff on approved domestic travel may be covered for work-related accidents/incidents under workers compensation, journey insurance, personal accident/injury and motor vehicle insurance where applicable.

(117) International travel insurance is available for University travellers on official travel on behalf of the University and whose cost of travel is paid by the University either in whole or in part and whether by reimbursement or otherwise. When the University is funding the travel expenses for visitors, they will also be covered by University travel insurance.

(118) University travel insurance will be available to accompanying spouses, partners and dependants when they are travelling on a Special Studies Program internationally. All travellers must be travelling on the same itinerary as the University traveller, whose cost of travel is paid by the University either in whole or in part and whether by reimbursement or otherwise.

(119) Insurance cover is provided by the University's insurance policy for private international travel in conjunction with official University business. This applies when the private travel is up to 50% of the total time of the journey (up to a maximum of 20 private travel days). If private travel is greater than this, a personal travel insurance policy must be purchased. No portion of this private policy will be reimbursed to the traveller by the University.

Part W - Private Travel

(120) Personal or private travel (non-University business) may be permitted in conjunction with pre-approved University business travel provided:

  1. the purpose of the travel is properly documented prior to travel;
  2. the University is acknowledged as only responsible for the business portion of the trip; and
  3. the absence is convenient to the organisational unit.

(121) University staff members must use some form of leave: annual, long service or leave without pay, to cover periods of absence that are not specifically required to conduct University business. This does not apply to periods between authorised travel, when it is impractical to return to normal duties.

(122) University staff wishing to take annual or other leave at the commencement, during, or at the conclusion of business travel, must obtain the appropriate permission from the relevant authority before making arrangements. If approval is granted, any additional costs (possible fringe benefits tax liability) are at the traveller's own expense and no University funding source can be used to offset the costs for this personal travel. 

(123) Where a traveller has a weekend between official business appointments and wishes to travel to a different destination for personal reasons, they shall not be eligible for any University funding for this portion of the trip.

(124) University travellers must pay separately for the personal/private travel component of a trip and its associated costs. These costs must not under any circumstances be paid from any University funding source or charged to the University corporate travel card.

(125) Where a spouse, partner or dependent accompanies a University staff member on official University travel, the traveller must:

  1. notify their authorising officer prior to travel; and
  2. ensure that the business of the University is not compromised.

(126) The University will not fund any cost incurred for an accompanying spouse, partner or dependent unless specific to a Special Studies Program grant.

Part X - Non-Compliance to the Travel Policy

(127) In the case of suspected University policy breaches, CSU Travel staff will:

  1. approach the University traveller concerned to clarify the occurrence; 
  2. initiate training and/or education material to the University traveller concerned, so that they become aware of, and understand, the Policy and/or associated procedures; and
  3. raise the issue with the Manager, CSU Travel.

(128) The Manager, CSU Travel may refer the matter to the Chief Financial Officer, for further action.

Public Authority

(129) At any time, any staff or student suspecting an alleged breach of policy, that may involve corrupt conduct, maladministration or serious waste by staff, can inform the University Secretary who may then initiate an internal or external investigation under the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994 No 92 that results in the matters being reported to the Corruption and Crime Commission or the Police. 

Top of Page

Section 5 - Guidelines

(130) Nil.